Pages

Thursday, 14 October 2010

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.


Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

I have had this message from Windows and it's really, really, really annoying... And after spending a week or more trying to solve this, I came to asolution that I want to share with all of you:



Here's the solution for the ones who might have this problem:
This worked for me in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit!
You must have all administrator privileges!


1- Open Windows Explorer

2- Go to C:/Windows/System32/DriverStore

You will have a couple of folders and files.
You will have *.dat files and other file named: infcache.1

3- Right click every file (dont touch the folders!) and choose properties.

4- go to security tab

5- click Edit

6- choose your account and check the box: full control (see ss)


7- Click ok.

8- Repeat to every file

9- Select all the files (*.dat and infcache.1)

10- Press shift+del

11- Press OK.

12- Now, go to C:Windows/System32/Driver Store/File Repository/

13- Search for folder named usbstor.inf

14- Open it (if you have more than one, choose the most recent)

15- Copy "usbstor.inf" and "usbstor.PNF"

16- Paste those two files to C:/Windows/inf

17- Reboot your pc and voilla! :b

If Windows doesnt install them automatically go to device manager, uninstall all unknown devices and the ones with the yellow exclamation mark, then click in "check to see if there is any hardware changes"

Now, Windows will install all your hardware successfully :b

20 comments:

  1. TOO difficult to understand for "normal" users, just install "Driver Genius" and it solve ALL your driver-problems! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm 17 step by step directions, seems pretty simple for a child to do.

      Delete
  2. Neither method worked for me. Thanks for the tips though,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much! Your detail procedures worked well for my HP notebook's Window 7 premium 64 bits. Due to probably some window's updates , I suddenly find my notebook could not install all my external disks' drivers and other devices. Have been trying for months trying to sort out this problem using all methods that I could find in various internet forums but all of it did not work. Fortunately I came across your procedures in this webpage , followed it and suddenly all my six external disks drivers and other devices can be installed without any problem! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was Looking for Audio card problem ( Same Problem)
    Tried yours didn't work.
    Got any ideas for Multimedia Audio Controller?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot. This worked perfectly for me. I was just about to re-install windows too but this saved me so much time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Windows 7 64 bits, and, even though there was no infcache.1 file in my windows installation, the workaround worked fine for me too! I've spent one week trying to get a Usb 3G working, and thanks to your post I finally got it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! The solution is extremely helpful and specific (especially comparing with others on the internet).
    Seriously, just wanna say thank you, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this step by step it worked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This saved me from suffering during re-installation of Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals. I was trying for 4 hours...

    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you want me to change all .dat files and then delete them? email me at ineptgratuity@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks but still no success. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. after pulling my hair out for 3 hours.. this guide FINALLY let me update my network adapter. Thank you so much !

    *NOTE for NEWBIES !!!!* In step #13 onwards... you have to use the ".inf" for the driver you are trying to update. In other words, I was using this guide for updating my 'network adapter' driver, not my usb driver, so of course i didn't use "usbstor.inf".. I used... Rt64win7.inf, which is the one for my adapter. Also.... after re-boot you still have to update the driver manually as this guide process doesn't 'install' the driver.. it just configures stupid "WINDOWS" to ALLOW you to install the driver. Joe/mugwampbro

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did everything as described, and still getting stupid ass error 31......

    win7 31bit

    ReplyDelete
  15. This worked for me! Thank you so much.

    For the past month my computer was not recognizing any new usb devices (it did recognize ones it had used prior to the start of the problem). I tried lots of ideas with no luck. I became convinced I had a hardware problem until I found this post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. was trying to update 3g usb driver i get the driver found usb composite device- access denied before this. after this process i got no access denied but it said it cant find the specified file,and when i browsed for the file, it says access denied again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have tried everything and no luck yet... ive tried this fix, ive tried downloading latest drivers. But nothing...

    ReplyDelete